Image: Kirk “Captain Kirk” Karwoski
The Squat is the toughest weight lifting exercise, both physically and mentally. You’ll sometimes lack motivation to go to the gym because you know a heavy Squat session is waiting for you there.
Time to cut the crap. What you Squat is ridiculous compared with what others lift. “Somewhere out there, a little Chinese girl is warming up with your max”. These are the 10 most impressive Squats of all time.
1. 1000lbs. Lee Moran was the 1st man to Squat 1000lbs. On his 1st attempt the bar flipped over his head and knocked him out. On the 2nd attempt 1 collar came off and the bar flipped over again. This was his 3rd attempt: 1003lbs.
Why impressive? His 2 failed attempts didn’t affect him.
2. 1000lbs x 2. Kirk Karwoski did raw Squats with 755lbs for 7 reps. 10 years after quiting competition he could still do 845lbs raw. He built this physique through powerlifting. Here’s “Captain Kirk” squatting 1000lbs for 2 reps.
Why impressive? “I want to hold it”
3. 1000lbs at 45. Dr. Fred Hatfield, aka Dr. Squat, won the World Powerlifting Championships 3 times. At age 45 he did a competitive Squat with 1014lbs at 255lbs body-weight. Video:
Why impressive? He did this age 45.
4. 1000lbs from Pins. Expect to Squat less weight when doing a Pin or Box Squat. You can’t use the stretch reflex when you start from a dead stop. Bud Jeffries doesn’t mind it: 1000lbs Squat from pins.
Why impressive? It’s a pin Squat.
5. No-No-No Squats. In 1993, 3 days before winning the World Weightlifting Championship, Ivan Chakarov was spotted in the training halls doing high bar, ass to grass Squats with 265kg for 2 reps at 91kg body-weight.
Why impressive? No wraps, no belts, no spotters.
6. 400lbs x 20. Take your 10 rep max Squat and do 20 reps with it. Breathe between reps until you got all 20 reps, no matter what. Breathing Squats will test your mental endurance. Jesse Marunde:
7. 920lbs at 50. Louie Simmons of Westside Barbell club is the only man over 50 years old who can Squat 920lbs. He’s the proof that whatever your age is, you can Squat if you want to.
Why impressive? 920lbs at age 50.
8. 310 kg x 2. I first put Idalberto Arranda here with his 290kg high bar, ass to grass Squat for a double. But then I remembered Eduardo Guadamud doing Squats with 310kg for 2 reps. Video:
Why impressive? Beyoncé playing in the background doesn’t affect him.
9. 815lbs at 181lbs BW. Wade Hooper took the 1st place in the 2008 USAPL Men’s Nationals with a 370kg Squat at 82,5kg body-weight. All using a single ply, walking out and squatting below parallel.
Why impressive? 4.5x body-weight Squat.
Why impressive? I bet she Squats more than you do.