Breakfast for Weight Gain. Image credit: spacekadet.
To gain weight, you need to eat more calories than your body needs. If you’re a so called “hardgainer” you’ll need at least 5000kcal/day on average before you start to see weight gain. Anything less and you’ll remain skinny.
But how do you eat that much? By spreading your calories into as many meals as you can. That’s why building the habit of eating breakfast is crucial to gain weight. Here are the top 5 breakfast recipes for weight gain.
1. Oatmeal. 400kcal per 100g. I recommend rolled oats. Quick oats are fine too, but I feel it tastes like sand. Mix with one or more of the ingredients below and microwave it. Then top with cinnamon.
- Natural peanut butter.
- Milk. Especially whole milk.
- Nuts. Almonds, cashews, walnuts.
- Fruits. Bananas, apples, pears, pineapple.
- Dried Fruits. Raisins, dates, prunes, apricots.
- Cottage Cheese. Or quark cheese or plain yogurt.
- Tuna. I have a friend who mixes it with oats & milk. Try it.
Granola and Muesli are great alternatives to oatmeal since they contain similar amount of calories. Make sure you buy them without added sugars. The more they come into their raw form, the better. You’ll avoid fat gains.
2. Omelets. Whole eggs are fine because dietary cholesterol doesn’t influence blood cholesterol. Remove the yolk if you don’t believe this. But realize you’re throwing away half the vitamins and half the protein. Some ideas:
- Meats. Ground round, minced beef, chicken ground/slices, tuna, bacon.
- Cheese. Feta cheese, grated cheese like Pecorino and Parmesan.
- Starchy Vegetables. (Sweet) potatoes, beans, lentils, yams.
- Spices. Cumin, black pepper, cayenne pepper, sea salt.
- Bread. Whole wheat is best.
Definitely try Spanish Omelets. Cook double portions potatoes. Eat half post workout. Use the for your breakfast omelet.
3. Whole Milk. 1 liter whole milk (1/4 US gallon) contains 600kcal. Liquid calories digest faster than solid ones. Drink 1 liter whole milk after your breakfast meal. Read the GOMAD guides for more info on how to use milk for weight gain.
4. Weight Gain Shakes. Liquid meals are easier to get in and digest faster than solid ones. They also take less time to prepare. Avoid weight gainers, they often have added sugars. Make your own shakes. Best ingredients:
- Bananas, apples.
- Olive oil, flax seeds.
- Rolled or quick oats.
- Natural peanut butter.
- Whole milk, plain fat free yogurt.
- Fruit juice (without added sugars).
5. Bread. Whole grain causes less fat gains than white. Eat dense breads like whole wheat, rye, oat bran & pumpernickel. Eat a banana or apple with it and drink some whole milk afterwards. Some ideas for inside your sandwich:
- Chicken deli, eggs, bacon.
- Natural peanut butter, honey, hummus.
- Cream cheese, cottage cheese (mix it with tuna).
Check the official StrongLifts.com recipe thread for more ideas. And feel free to post any weight gain recipe you have in that thread.