GOMAD: gallon of milk a day. Image credit: cafemama.
To gain weight you must eat more than you’re doing now. But if you’re skinny and struggle to gain weight, you know that eating more can be hard. You may feel like throwing up every time you try to eat more.
Luckily there’s an easy, fast & cheap way to gain weight naturally: GOMAD. Any “hard gainer” will gain weight drinking 1 US Gallon Of Milk A Day. This article will teach you how to gain weight with GOMAD.
Benefits of GOMAD. GOMAD stands for Gallon Of Milk A Day. GOMAD is a weight gain method that has been going around since years. Some benefits of drinking 1 US gallon (4 liters) of whole milk daily:
- Weight Gain. 25lbs weight gain during the 1st month is common on GOMAD.
- Strength Gain. The protein & fat content in whole milk helps muscle & strength gains. The weight gain also helps strength gains.
- Easy. Liquid food is easier to get in than solid food and digests faster. Milk also needs zero preparation and is easy to take with you.
- Cheap. 1 gallon whole milk contains 2400kcal, 200g carbs, 120g fat, 120g protein and lots of vitamins & minerals for a relative low price.
- Natural. Some say that GOMAD works even better than steroids with beginners who want to gain weight fast.
- Permanent Gains. GOMAD teaches you to get more calories in, the key to weight gain. You’ll never be skinny again.
Why GOMAD Works. GOMAD equals 2400kcal. Eat every 3 hours and you’ll get 5000kcals/day. Eating this much will make most “hard gainers” gain weight. But GOMAD is not just about its high calorie intake.
- High Protein. You need protein to build muscle & prevent muscle loss. 1 gallon of whole milk contains 120g protein. 20% whey, 80% casein.
- Saturated Fat. Increases testosterone levels, which means more muscle & strength. Don’t believe the cholesterol myths: saturated fat is healthy.
- High Carb. The dextrose in whole milk spikes insulin, a muscle building hormone which tells your body to move the proteins into your muscles.
Is GOMAD Safe? Yes. Or we wouldn’t feed babies milk. And even if milk wasn’t safe, you won’t do GOMAD the rest of your life. Once you got your goal weight – within 1-2 months – it’s back to a regular diet.
- Cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol doesn’t affect blood cholesterol. Your body produces more cholesterol than you can consume.
- Kidney Stones. You can find studies showing that a high dietary calcium intake decrease the risk for kidney stones. It doesn’t increase it.
Should You Do GOMAD? If you’re young, skinny and under-weight: yes. You should weigh at least 1kg for each cm above 1m. Anything less you’ll always look skinny. Some goal weights depending on your height:
- 1m70/5″7″ at least 70kg/154lbs
- 1m75/5″9″ at least 75kg/165lbs
- 1m80/5″11″ at least 80kg/176lbs
- 1m85/6″1″ at least 85kg/187lbs
- 1m90/6″3″ at least 90kg/200lbs
Note that these aren’t ideal weights but minima. If you want to weigh more, go for it. Best is to aim for 10lbs/5kg more to make sure.
If you’re skinny + fat: gain weight first, then lose fat. It’s easier to lose fat once you’ve gained weight: you’ve got more strength, more muscle mass, … People who want to gain weight without gaining fat usually get nowhere.
Which Milk to Use for GOMAD. Don’t waste your time with low fat, skimmed or half-skimmed milk. They’re lower in saturated fats & calories and won’t give the same results. Go with whole milk, it also tastes better.
- Whole Milk. Full fat milk which contains 3-4% fat. Alternative names: full cream milk or homo milk.
- 3-4% fat. Check the nutrient data on the whole milk you buy. It should contain 3-4g fat, 3g protein & 5g carbs per 100ml.
- 2400 Calories. Whole milk contains 60kcals per 100ml. This accounts for 2400kcals when you drink 1 gallon whole milk.
Pasteurized, UHT or raw? These processing methods don’t matter as long as you’re drinking whole milk. If you’re lactose intolerant: take lactase pills. They’re as efficient as lactaid milk, but cheaper.
How to Do GOMAD. GOMAD won’t work if you drink 1 gallon of milk 3 days out of 7, skip workouts and neglect eating. Be consistent!
- 1 US Gallon Milk Daily. Equals 4 liters. Spread your intake. Example: 1/4 at breakfast, 1/4 at lunch, 1/4 post workout, 1/4 at dinner.
- Eat Every 3 Hours. Eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, pre-bed and post workout. Milk as snack is ok. Don’t be hungry: eat your stomach full.
- Squat. Lifting weights gives your body the stimulus to build muscle. Squat a lot. Check StrongLifts 5×5 if you don’t know where to start.
- Track Progress. Take pictures front/back/side, track body fat using a fat caliper and weigh yourself every 2 weeks. Keep a training log.
- Track Calories. Unless you’re very active, you’ll need about 5000kcals/day to gain weight. You’ll get this doing GOMAD + eating every 3 hours. Track your calories with an app like myfitnesspal so you know you’re getting what you need. Don’t second guess.
Do GOMAD until you got your goal weight. Best is to aim for 10lbs/5kg extra just to make sure. If you’re consistent you won’t need to do GOMAD more than 1-2 months to get your goal weight.
How to Make GOMAD Easier. If you’re 110lbs/55kg GOMAD will be hard at first. You might feel bloated. Solution is similar to StrongLifts 5×5: start light and add milk progressively.
- Week 1: eat every 3 hours, apply the 8 nutrition rules.
- Week 2: eat every 3 hours + ¼ gallon whole milk a day
- Week 3: eat every 3 hours + ½ gallon whole milk a day
- Week 4: eat every 3 hours + ¾ gallon whole milk a day
- Week 5: eat every 3 hours + 1 gallon whole milk a day
This gives your body time to adapt. Drawback: weight gain is slower since it takes 4 weeks before you’re drinking 1 gallon of whole milk daily.
Example GOMAD Meal Plan. Spread your milk intake through the day. If you have milk with meals: eat first, drink the milk after. Eat your stomach full on each meal and make sure you eat every 3 hours.
- Breakfast: eggs, veggies, orange, green tea.
- Snack: 1 liter milk, mixed nuts, banana
- Lunch: chicken breast, mixed veggies, peer
- Snack: 1 liter milk, mixed nuts, apple
- Post workout: 1 liter milk, oats, banana
- Dinner: ground round, pasta, tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese
- Pre bed: 1 liter milk, berries, ground flax seeds, cottage cheese
Room temperature milk isn’t tasty. Buy thermoses, fill them with cold water for 5mins, then drain them and fill them with milk. Milk is 87% water so you won’t need to drink that much water on top of your daily gallon of whole milk.
Once You’re Done GOMAD. Stop GOMAD once you’ve reached your goal weight. This shouldn’t take you more than 1-2 months if you’re consistent. Things you can expect when stopping GOMAD:
- Fat Loss. You’ll gain 2-3% fat per month on GOMAD. When you stop GOMAD: follow the 8 nutrition rules and keep getting stronger. Your body fat will decrease, but your body-weight won’t change.
- Weight Loss. 1 gallon of whole milk a day means lots of carbs. Carbs bind to water. Expect weight loss when stopping GOMAD: water loss. That’s why you should aim for 10lbs/5kg extra as goal weight.
- Increased Hunger. You’ll be more hungry than before. This is your body telling you to eat to maintain your increased body-weight.
You can keep drinking milk if you want after stopping GOMAD. Just know that if fat loss is your goal, best is to drink milk post workout only.
Note that GOMAD is not the only way to gain weight. But it’s definitely the most efficient way to make anyone gain weight fast naturally.
More on GOMAD. More articles about GOMAD on StrongLifts.com: