You get up and kick off the day with a coffee. You only have 10 mins so you rush for work without having breakfast. Maybe you buy a bagel and cream cheese on your way to work, but usually you don’t eat until lunch time.
A healthier way to start your day is to have breakfast. But I know: you lack time for that in the morning and never feel hungry. This post will help you. Here are 7 strategies to easily build the habit of eating breakfast within 30 days.
1. Start Small. If you get nauseas when you eat breakfast, start small and add food slowly but gradually. This gives your body time to adapt. Example:
- 1st week: 2 scrambled eggs.
- 2nd week: 2 scrambled eggs with a 1/2 cup spinach.
- 3rd week: 3 scrambled eggs with a 3/4 cup spinach and an orange.
2. Eat Less Pre Bed. Having a big meal just before you go to bed will mess with your sleep and will make you less hungry on waking up.
- Have Pre Bed Snacks. Dinner 3h prior bedtime, snack 1h before going to bed. Example of good pre bed snack: cottage cheese with berries.
- Stop Training 3h Prior Bedtime. So your post workout meal doesn’t fall too close to bedtime. But also because exercising right before going to bed can keep you awake (by raising your body’s temperature).
3. Stop Midnight Snacking. Waking up in the middle of the night to eat makes you less hungry at breakfast and lowers your sleep’s quality. Avoid midnight snacking. You won’t lose muscle anyway as long as you exercise regularly.
- Buy Whole Foods Only. If you don’t have ready-to-eat processed foods that come out of a box, the only way to snack is to cook.
- Remove Leftovers. Harder to snack if you don’t have ready-to-eat foods in your fridge. Make smaller portions or give your leftovers to your dog.
- Go Back In Bed. Hunger in the middle of the night will stop if you eat at fixed intervals. Build the habit of waking up early if you can’t catch sleep.
4. Make It Tasty. Eating foods you like will make it easier to build the habit of eating breakfast. Learn to use spices and herbs. Alternate the ingredients in your breakfast meal so you avoid boredom.
5. Keep It Simple. Especially if you struggle to wake up early. Don’t waste your time with recipes that take hours to prepare. Make something simple and easy that’s also tasty and healthy.
- Make Smoothies. Take 5 mins to prepare. Mix whey, veggies & fruits in your blender. Drink. Done. Check the smoothie recipe thread for ideas.
- Use Frozen Veggies. Pre-washed, pre-cut and often better quality than fresh. You’ll cut down your preparation time by using frozen veggies.
- Prepare Ingredients. Put frozen veggies like peppers or spinach in your colander the night before. They’ll be unfrozen on waking up. You’ll only need to fry them in your pan with your scrambled eggs.
6. Wake Up Early. Lack of time is one of the top causes for skipping breakfast. I recommend you wake up 2h before you leave for work so you have time to eat breakfast and to get ready without getting stressed.
7. Eat Breakfast Daily. The fastest & easiest way to form a new habit is to do the same task daily for at least 30 days. After this your internal resistance decreases and you’ll take action automatically. Persistence is key. Tips:
- Do It for 30 Days. Prepare and eat breakfast daily for at least 30 days. Even if it’s only something small and including in the weekend.
- Use Willpower. Your first 10 days are the hardest. But it gets easier as you see the benefits. Use willpower to get through the first 30 days.
- Be Consistent. Do not skip a day during your first 30 days trial. It only makes things harder. Use willpower and count your days off.
Again: it only takes 30 days and then you’re rolling. Persist!